Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Outside again

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

It feels good to be having outings outside again. We've been having those fresh, sunny winter days that Canberrans rave about. Making the mornings in the minuses seem worth it.

Mum and I rugged up the Little One in her woollens and went for a walk around the Botanical Gardens. She loved touching all the spiky banksias and crawling about amongst the towering eucalypts. We ate hummus on the lawns and Saskia tried desperately to pat the birds. My parents are headed to the States for a 6 week holiday so we've been making the most of hanging out with JanMa and Grandfather lately.

I am appreciating the beauty of the native Australian landscape more and more these days. Being amongst the banksias took me back to family summer holidays at Jervis Bay, and I kept thinking about how much I will enjoy reading these Australian tales to my daughter one day.

We'll be coming back here again very soon. It's one of those places that you never grow tired of.

9 comments:

  1. Isn't it so lovely watching our little ones discover and explore things as simple as leaves and other objects of nature? Sophie spent forever today playing with a little pile of sand, letting it fall through her fingers. It was so cute to watch. Glad you had sunnt skies and got to spend some time with your mum before her trip x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's so heartening. Imagine feeling sand on your hands for the first time - magic...Mum and Dad leave tomorrow. Boo hoo...

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the great idea Claire! I think this will be one of our outings one weekend soon. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a goodie...would love to hear about it x

      Delete
  3. Hey Canberra girl, greetings from Gungahlin. Just loving Canberra in Winter (this has been our 5th) with the glorious clear skies. Tad chilly overnight, but our chickens have been laying nonetheless.
    I still love bottle brush, as a child i would pick it off to wash my tea sets, squee. I'm loving the hot pink blossom out already, bring on Spring, i am ready!! Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh hello! Thanks for popping in...love the image of a little girl washing up tea pots with bottle brushes...I am ready too. More than ready x

      Delete
  4. I have the same feeling towards Australian native plants and trees. The more time I spend with them the more captivating I am finding them. Looks like the perfect spot for an outing;) x ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I love how they can be interpreted so graphically in art too...Botans is definitely one of the best spots in Canberra x

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous textures and patinas. Do your parents visit the states annually?

    ReplyDelete